Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sherpa

I had to say goodbye to my Sherpa on Friday, June 19, 2009. He was 9 years old. It was possibly one of the hardest things that I have ever done. With tears in my eyes I write this blog. For those of you who really know me know what this big boxer meant to me. I am such an animal lover but never knew I could fall so in love with this big dog! Sherpa and I have lived together since he was 5 1/2 weeks old. This dog has been with me thru the good and the bad. He slept in my king size bed with me for years. It was only when I decided that Bradley and I would eventually marry that I moved him to the loveseat (still in my bedroom though).


Before kids...these are my first two babies. Sherpa and Peanut

Anytime I would sit indian style on the floor, Sherpa lways felt the need to sit down right into my lap...no matter if he was a little puppy or a 70 lb grown boxer!

Brad and I married in August 2002 and the next February I wanted pictures done of us with our dogs before we had kids. I always want to remember what a fun (but short) time with had when it was just us (and all of our 4-legged babies).

Bradley has always known what Sherpa meant to me. He would make the comment "yep, I married Amy and that dog" when people would ask about him. Sherpa has always been very special to Bradley since we have been together. When we were dating, Bradley would tell me to bring them (Sherpa and Peanut) to his house and would fix a place for them to stay inside because my dogs never stayed outside! Even when we would travel down to his parents place I would take the dogs and they did not have animals inside but they welcomed my two!

Sherpa has had the life any dog would dream of since we moved to the farm. Roaming on tons of land, trips to the Strong River, riding to town in the back of the truck, trail riding on golfcarts, etc...were the "normal" things this dog got to do. That is what Bradley reminded me of as we were having to say goodbye to him. Boxers are one of the top dogs to get if you have children...that is why I got him 9 years ago. He loved my children...This is one of my all time favorite pictures of my first 3 babies...Carson was only 9 months old.

He would always share his food with my kids...they would just stick their hands all down in his bowl and he never was ugly even once!

Everytime that Bradley would have a "kill" whether it be turkey or deer, Sherpa would guard it with his life. He was protector of the animal and would let no other animal near it. He would growl and snarl his teeth at all the other dogs and cats. Bradley would always "thank" Sherpa for his hard work by throwing him bits of the meat as he cleaned it.

Sherpa, I will miss you so much...

1 comment: