Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Chicken...well, Rooster

We have 8 (what I call) Mail-Order birds...they are really speckled susex chickens. They were born on Toby's birthday (February 23) so that makes them about 2 months old. Last week 5 of the 8 got the chicken pox...no it's not the same kind as humans get. So Bradley and I have been doctoring them with antibiotics in their water and saline solution and terrimiason (eye antibiotic cream) in their eyes daily...they were slowly getting better. Then a week later I was not satisfied with their progress so I went and got La200 a medicine you give cattle and pigs...that was FUN trying to figure out how much to give a bird that weighs less than 1lb. I had to give them 1/10 of a cc (actually Bradley did) in the back of their necks while I held the bird. Today they seem to be doing a bit better...we will re-give the shots tomorrow. But since we have had to hold them so much lately they have become very tame. I'll keep you updated...Oh and that is barn in the background that is being built for our chickens. They plan to work on it some more on Saturday I think...I'll keep you posted on that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment